Benefits of Water Treatment in the Home
Removal of Chlorine & Chloramines
Municipal water uses chlorine, or in some cases chloramines (a group of chemical compounds that contain chlorine and ammonia), for disinfection. Disinfection By-Products (DBPs) are collectively termed trihalomethanes (THM or TTHM’s for total trihalomethanes).
We are exposed to DBPs through water orally, dermally, and through inhalation contact with chlorinated water. When we take hot showers or baths, inhalation and dermal absorption in the shower accounts for more exposure to THMs than drinking water. Why does it matter how much DBP’s are in our water? Higher rates of these compounds are linked to certain types of cancers.
Our bodies are amazing machines. They continue to fight off toxins and the fewer toxins we need to fight off the healthier we are. There are many benefits of water treatment in the home.
Removal of Bacteria
The presence of coliform bacteria, specifically E. coli (a type of coliform bacteria), in drinking water suggests the water may contain pathogens that can cause diarrhea, vomiting, cramps, nausea, headaches, fever, fatigue and even death at times. If you are on a private well, testing periodically for bacteria is advised.
Iron and Manganese
Iron is the more frequent of these two contaminants, but they often occur together. High levels of these contaminants can result in discolored water, stained plumbing fixtures, as well as dingy clothes and, sometimes, can have adverse effects on both hair and skin. An unpleasant metallic taste to the water is often present. Iron deposits can build up in pressure tanks, storage tanks, water heaters, and pipelines. The iron-deposit buildup can decrease capacity, reduce pressure, and increase maintenance. These deposits can also cause self-closing valves to stick. Your body needs some manganese and iron to stay healthy, but too much can be harmful. We require a current comprehensive well test to specify a system.
Sulfur is easily detected by the presence of a “rotten egg” odor and is associated with yellow staining. Typically naturally occurring as a result of decay and chemical reaction to soil and rocks. While sulfur bacteria are not harmful, hydrogen sulfide gas in the air can be detrimental at high levels. We require a current comprehensive well test to specify a system.
Arsenic is an inorganic contaminant, and it is not acceptable in our water. It can cause skin damage, nervous system disorders, and circulatory system issues and puts those who ingest at an increased risk of cancer, including malignant tumors on skin and lungs. We use a proprietary media specially formulated to selectively remove arsenic (+5 and +3 arsenic) from the water. We require a current comprehensive well test to specify a system.
Naturally occurring uranium has very low levels of radioactivity. However, the chemical properties of uranium in drinking water are of a more significant concern than its radioactivity. Most ingested uranium is eliminated from the body. However, a small amount is absorbed and carried through the bloodstream. Studies show that drinking water with elevated levels of uranium can affect the kidneys over time. Bathing and showering with water that contains uranium is not a health concern. We require a current comprehensive well test to specify a system.